Around the wicket with: George Dockrell



                                  Around the wicket with: George Dockrell

Ireland spinning sensation George Dockrell is gearing up for his second ICC Cricket World Cup. The Dublin native was just 18 years old when he played in the 2011 tournament and returns with four years more experience under his belt in 2015.

This week, we went around the wicket with Dockrell and asked him about #CWC15.

How do you feel heading into this World Cup compared to 2011?
At the last World Cup I didn’t have many expectations so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Now I’ve got an extra four years of cricket under my belt and extra couple of Twenty20 World Cup appearances and that experience from 2011.

What are your top memories from the 2011 World Cup?
Playing England in that famous win was probably the most brilliant part of the tournament. The first game against Bangladesh was also massive, playing in front of that Dhaka crowd.

Also, knocking over Sachin Tendulkar and MS Dhoni against India.

You were originally a seamer. When did you make the switch to spin?
I bowled seam for my first age-group game when I was 13, then the coach Brian O’Rourke saw me bowling spin in the car cark with a tennis ball.

We only had one spinner on the team so he said, ‘I think you can do the job for me’ and he got me to bowl spin and it worked really well.

Who are you tipping to win the World Cup, if not Ireland?
I think obviously Australia in home conditions are strong, India are also strong and so are South Africa. Australia at home might be a tough one to go past.

Who is the best player you’ve played against?
Kevin Pietersen and Eoin Morgan are the two best guys I’ve bowled to.

Do you have any favourite World Cup memories from when you were growing up?
The big one for me was when I was 15, I’d just come home from school and Ireland were playing Pakistan (in the 2007 World Cup). We were just starting the run chase when my dad came home and we watched it together. The end of that game when Ireland beat Pakistan is one of the biggest moments I remember.

George Dockrell: Cricket World Cup Record
Matches: 6
Wickets: 7
Average: 29.57
Economy: 4.44

IRELAND WORLD CUP MATCHES:

Monday, February 16: West Indies v Ireland, Saxton Oval, Nelson
Wednesday, February 25: Ireland v United Arab Emirates, the Gabba, Brisbane
Tuesday, March 3: South Africa v Ireland, Manuka Oval, Canberra
Saturday, March 7: Zimbabwe v Ireland, Bellerive Oval, Hobart
Tuesday, March 10: India v Ireland, Seddon Park, Hamilton
Sunday, March 15: Pakistan v Ireland, Adelaide Oval, Adelaide
Previous
Next Post »